Steps to file Home Insurance Claim
We all know that the value of a car depreciates from the time you buy one. However, the value of a house usually increase over time. Therefore, buying a house from an investment perspective, is a great investment that will make sure you get a financial security in years to come. This is the reason, it is imperative to safeguard your greatest investment - your house by opting for a comprehensive home insurance policy.
Buying a home insurance policy is one thing but knowing what all it covers and what it doesn’t is even more important. Besides, you should also be aware of claiming a home insurance of the need arises.
In this article, we mention a general outline of the home insurance claim filing process.
What Documents are required to file a Home Insurance Claim?
If you submit all the required documents to your home insurance provider, you can expect a quick and hassle-free claim process.
Mentioned herein is the list of necessary documents in case you wish to file a home insurance claims.
- Duly filled home insurance claim form that would be signed by the insurance provider as well as the its legal representative
- Any pictures, evidence of the accident, nature of the incident and the extent of loss.
- Court summons, FIR report, bills of suppliers for replacement,rent agreement, repair and service bills, letter from the legal department, invoices of the belongings that are damaged, fire brigade report, hospital bills, etc.
- It is important you maintain a copy of your home insurance policy, policy number, identity as well as address proof.
Step-by-step to register a Home Insurance Claim
- If there is an accident, make sure that you as well as your home are safe. You can take any possible steps if required to avert the damage.
- Immediately call your home insurance company either calling on their helpline number or fax or mail. Inform them about the damage caused.
- It is important that you take pictures of any damaged sections of your property/ home. Do not forget to maintain the receipts as well as bills that were raised to service any items or part of your home post an accident.
- Your home insurance company will then ask for supporting documents and any relevant bills post raising a home insurance claim depending on the nature of accident.
- Ensure to submit all the required documents along with a duly filled and signed home insurance claim form.
- Your home insurance company would appoint an inspector or a surveyor in order to assess the damage.
- Your home insurance company will access the claim and then validate the same. Post this step, the approved amount of reimbursement would be credited to your bank account.
4 simple tips for Home Insurance Claims
Mentioned below are some of the tips you can follow to ensure a faster home insurance claim process.
- Ensure that you read the home insurance policy document carefully. Read what the home insurance policy covers and what it doesn’t.
- Keep your documents at a safe place. Maintain a file of the bills, invoices, etc. so that when the need arises, you can simplify the process home insurance claim.
- The value of the items and home contents should be inputted correctly.
- Keep regular follow-ups post filing a home insurance claim.